Home >> Community >> Christian Community >> General Discussion >> How often does one have to pray?

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:13 pm 

I have just had an interesting discussion with my mates and we were talking about prayer, and the question that we were debating on was "Does one have to pray everyday?"

Do we need to have like a "timetable" for prayer, like "I pray everyday at 8 in the morning?"

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:38 pm 

We are to pray regularly and often. We have to praise and worship God in our prayers. We can bring our own needs and problems to God in prayer. We can pray for the salvation and needs of others
also. The prayer is to be offered in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour.
(Jer 33:3) Call unto me, and I will answer thee,
and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou
knowest not.
(Psa 16:7) I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.

(Psa 16:8) I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

(Psa 16:9) Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.

(Psa 16:10) For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

(Psa 16:11) Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
dalfrath.

<!--EDIT|dalfrath|Mar 20 2003, 06:41 PM-->

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:07 pm 

How often you should pray is based on what kind of relationship you want to have with God.

If you want a shallow relationship with someone else, you don't need to ever communicate with them, do you?

If you want a deeper relationship with them, that means you enjoy spending time with them, you enjoy communicating with them and you enjoy getting to know them, their character, their passions, their desires, their dreams.

So, how often should you pray?

It depends on what kind of relationship you want to have with God.

John 8:47 has strong words on this, applicable today as much as ever.

<><<br><br>"The world is full of suffering, and the overcoming of it." - Helen Keller<br>"Strive not to be a success, strive to be of value." - Albert Einstein<br>"May you hear, recognize, understand and respond when God talks to you." - my website motto<br><br>Andrey<br><br><a href='http://achievebalance.com' target='_blank'>achievebalance.com</a><br><a href='http://achievebalance.com/napsv' target='_blank'>NAPSV Personalized Bible Verses!</a><br><a href='http://achievebalance.com/divorce' target='_blank'>Ministry to the Divorced</a>

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:46 am 

To pray or not to pray...that is the question.

As a minister and teacher at a bible college, this question is regularly asked by believers and students. With any question one must first go to the word of God. 1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing. Before you ask yourself, “how can one pray without ceasing? When will I eat, sleep or do anything?”

Without boring anyone reading this, there are 7 types of prayer in the bible. To simplify a few, there is giving thanks to God for something He has done or will do, asking God for something for yourself, praying for someone else, asking God what His will is for you life, and praying with someone else and agreeing with them over the prayer. In 1Th 5:17, God is not saying do nothing except pray but He is saying you can pray anything and everything, anytime. Prayer is about fellowship with our heavenly Father and living a lifestyle of prayer. with 7 types of prayer, a lifestyle of prayer does not mean only sitting alone for hours praying about everything and everyone you can think of, but more so about praying throughout your day over issues as they arise and with people that need prayer. In a given day one can pray over these things each prayer only being 1 minute or even less: a safe drive to work, favor on your job, to restore relationships with people you have “issues” with, over having a successful meeting, pray with someone not feeling well, pray with someone having a bad day, to ask for more peace or joy on a day you need it, and so on.

It is not about praying 1 or 3 hours a day everyday, but more to the point just work on praying 5 more minutes today than you did yesterday, pray with someone in need if you have never prayed with them before, endeavoring to stretch and grow one inch at a time.

Zoe

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:42 am 

Of course we pray, every night, every morning, before we eat, or before we go somewhere or do something active.
But we should pray whenever God is calling us. Whenever you feel the holy spirit is talking to you, don't ignore it, get down on your knees and pray. I'm sure that God will talk to you.

:D

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:19 pm 

manulite wrote:
I have just had an interesting discussion with my mates and we were talking about prayer, and the question that we were debating on was "Does one have to pray everyday?"

Do we need to have like a "timetable" for prayer, like "I pray everyday at 8 in the morning?"

Prayer is a personal thing.. and having a prayer life 24/7 is one thing every person needs. You shouldn't just go to God when you need to use him as a toilet he should be there when your having a good day to.. Praise is also a part of prayer if you don't already know that..