Home >> Community >> Christian Community >> Polls and Opinions >> Do you memorize Bible scriptures?

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Do you memorize Bible scriptures?
Yes  0%  [ 0 ]
No  0%  [ 0 ]
No, but would like to start  0%  [ 0 ]
I know some, but need to continue  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Do you memorize Bible scriptures?
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:29 pm 

Do you memorize verses, chapters, or books of the Bible?

Yes
No
No, but would like to start
I know some, but have not memorized others

Know of any memory improvement techniques that might help?

Last edited by felicin on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:51 pm 

"Do You Sing At Your Enemies?"
Al's AnALysis - January 1998

By Al Menconi

Have you ever realized how important godly music is to God? The Bible is filled with examples of how believers in the Living God sung His praises. So why don't we do the same?

The Bible says that the Old Testament was given to us as an example. I think it would be reasonable then to do a quick overview and see how believers treated singing and godly music.

There are numerous examples of how God had the children of Israel use singing and musical instruments-from their song of victory after crossing the Red Sea into freedom to Ezra reinstating choir worship after the Babylonian captivity. David-God's chosen to be in the line of Christ-was God's songwriter. The longest book in Scripture, Psalms, is a book of songs. Singers were a vital part of worship throughout Scripture.

The Bible also teaches us that praising God must be done audibly-speaking, shouting, or singing. We cannot and should not be silent when we praise the Lord. There is power in His praise. The Bible is filled with examples of how His people sang His praises.

The most interesting example to me of the power of singing was when the nation of Judah was under siege by the armies of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir. Jehoshaphat, the king, had singers lead his armies into battle (2 Chron. 20:20-23). Can you believe how stupid that was? That's like our President getting on the radio and asking Christian churches to have their choirs sing toward the Mideast because Iraq or some other nation declared war on us.

But Jehoshaphat obeyed God and the Bible tells us that at the exact moment they began to sing, their enemies began to kill each other off until all of Judah's enemies were dead. It didn't happen because the people of Judah had awful voices. The enemy slaughtered each other because Jehoshaphat and his people were faithful to God! Is that hot or what?

A similar example of the power of singing is when Paul and Silas were in the Philippian jail. They had been beaten, put in the innermost dungeon, and their legs were bound with chains. Instead of complaining that they weren't being treated fairly, they spent the night singing hymns to the Lord. You know the story, there was an earthquake, the doors flew open and their chains fell off. More importantly they led their jailer to Christ (Acts 16:22-34). Did all this happen because they were singing? No one knows for sure, but you can be certain nothing would have happened if they sat there complaining. There truly is power in godly singing!

What can we learn from these examples? In Ephesians 6, Paul encourages us to put on the whole armor of God. The sword is the Word of God in our spiritual armor. With that in mind, consider the Greek for Word in this passage (Eph. 6:17) is rhema, which is usually translated as the spoken Word of God. The implication is that in the spiritual warfare of life, we should do more than merely read God's Word, we should verbalize it. A good way to verbalize it is to sing.

This could answer why God's enemies fled and/or killed each other when His people sang His praises.

Could I ask you a simple but pointed question? Do you sing at your enemies? Why not? Do you have the "enemy" of worry? Then why not sing songs of faith? Do you have the "enemy" of fear? Then why not sing songs of hope? Do you have the "enemy" of stress? Then why not sing songs of peace? Is it magic? Extra-biblical? Hocus-pocus? No, it's simply what the people of God have done since the beginning of time.

Since godly music is so important to God, and Jehoshaphat, and David, and Paul, and His people throughout the ages, why isn't it more important to you?

++++++++++

Here is a suggestion...
Songs From The Message
The Way of Love
CD

Inspired by The Message, a paraphrase of the Bible, this CD brings scripture to life and encourages you to worship, read and apply God's Word to your daily life.

"I Could Sing Of Your Love Forever"
Mark 11:22-24
"We Will Embrace Your Move"
"Rhythm Of Grace"
"God Is Light"
Matthew 6:19-21
"That's Where My Heart Is, Too"
"Thunder In The Desert"
Matthew 18:3-4
"Heaven Knows"
"The Way Of Love"
2 Timothy 1:9
"Songs Of Life"
"The City Of Light"
"River Run"

+++++++++
Pray for me that I practice what I "preach". I get caught up in the "finding" and "presenting". Thanks everybody.
:)